Monday, November 7, 2011

I GET IT!

When I was a kid, my mom would take her vacation from work in the middle of fall or winter. We wouldn't go anywhere. In fact, my sister and I still had to go to school while our mom stayed home for a couple of weeks. People would always ask her if she was going anywhere and when she would say no, they would tell her she should take a trip somewhere. She would always say, "Nope. The best vacation in the world is my own living room." I always wanted to take trips for vacations. I never understood why we didn't other than the money thing. She was a single mom so money was always an issue. Now, I'm a single mom and I always take my vacation in November and I GET IT!! I love taking vacation in November. It is my favorite time of year and my kids are still in school. I don't have money to go anywhere and even if I did, I probably wouldn't. Don't get me wrong, I love my job and I love my kids, but sometimes a break from both is definitely needed.
I love going to visit my dad. His house sits in the middle of the woods. The front room of his house is nothing but windows. When you look out those windows all you can see is forest, mountains and sky. I like to go sit in that front room and just enjoy God's beauty and relax. I did that this morning in my own home. I sat on my couch and looked out into my backyard. Granted the view isn't spectacular like at my dad's house. I have a view of a pool, a palm tree, my neighbors and a table that I started to tile and never finished, but it didn't matter. There was no sound except the tick of the clock. I couldn't even hear traffic. No screaming, fighting, arguing kids. No one demanding things from me. No phones ringing and no phone calls to make. Even my cell phone was silent. The tv was off and the stereo was off. For 20 minutes I sat in silence watching water drip off my roof and the clouds float by reflecting on the things that I'm grateful for.
Yep, I GET IT! My little, over crowded, cluttered home is the best vacation spot in the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment