Sunday, May 11, 2014

Happy Mother's Day!

Another Mother’s Day.  Wasn’t it here just last week?  Wow, time really flies.  I appreciate all the moms in my life.  My mom, stepmom, sisters, friends, aunts, mother-in-law and my grandma who passed away several years ago.  They are all great examples to me.

Being a mom is not easy.  It is not fun being puked on, peed on, pooped on and spit on or dealing with broken bones, broken windows, scrapes, fights, sickness, lying, bad grades, creepy crawly things they like to pick up, back talk, door slamming, biohazard bedrooms, and still trying to figure out who “wasn’t me” is and kick that person out of the house.  After swapping stories with other moms at work today, I have come to the conclusion that kids are genetically predisposed to embarrass their parents with their public temper tantrums, announcing their bodily functions in a crowded room and their lack of a filter.  Or in my son’s case saying in his not so quiet voice, “Mom, we can’t leave Walmart yet!  We didn’t buy you a new husband!” 

Then just when we start to wonder why we even had kids in the first place, and wonder how in the world we are ever going to get them to adulthood intact, they turn around and make us a card with hand drawn flowers or macaroni telling us how much they love us.  Their sweet smiles and precious hugs make all the frustration and anger melt away.  Then I realize there is no one else in the world who will love me this way.  They are forgiving of my shortcomings and love me no matter what.  They are truly the greatest gift that God has given to me. 

Here is a special shout out to all the single parents out there doing double duty.  Single parents are both moms and dads.  Moms who have to learn how to bait a fish hook and dads who have to learn how to braid their daughter’s hair.  You deserve to be honored on Mother’s and Father’s day and every day!  You are so amazing!

I hope all the moms out there get to spend the day how they want to.  It is nice for moms to be able to hang up their cape for just one day and let someone else save the world.  Thank you moms for all that you do!

No comments:

Post a Comment