Wednesday, September 18, 2013

What is This Craziness called Paleo?

Last Spring I made a big change in my eating habits...I gave up sugar! That is huge for me. Unfortunately I am a sugar addict. I have read that sugar is just as addictive as cocaine. Since I have never used or been addicted to cocaine I can't really compare it, but I can say it was not easy. I went thru withdrawals. I'm talking headaches, shakes, sickness. Once I made it thru the withdrawals I felt better with more energy, but still not great.

I ran into a friend one day and she told me that wheat was just as bad as sugar and maybe even worse! What?? What about all this whole grain stuff that people have been preaching for years? I gave up all the white stuff, isn't that enough?

Time to do some research. I hate research. I think that and math keep me from going back to school. Just tell me what I need to know. Anyway, this time I figured this is my health so I will do it. I read the book "Wheat Belly". That book scared the crap out of me!! For a long time it has been taught that only those with a wheat sensitivity need to be wheat free. However, with all of the modifications that have been done to wheat and other grains over the years, this is not the same wheat that our grandparents had in their daily lives with homemade breads and treats. There are chemicals that changed it. I also learned that all artificial sweeteners are bad because they have chemicals. Pre boxed, canned or frozen foods that say they are healthy are not. They have chemicals in them. Fast food is poison! So I gave up gluten. That wasn't as hard physically as sugar, but learning how to cook properly has been a challenge for sure!

I started reading about Paleo also known as the caveman diet. The interesting thing about this is it's not a diet. It's a way of life. You eat eggs, meat, animal fat, veggies, fruits, nuts, spices, herbs and make it organic as much  as possible. You don't eat refined sugar, wheat or other grains although quinoa is accepted sometimes because it all natural untouched like other grains and high in protein, legumes (which includes peanuts) and no dairy. They also believe in using the whole animal. That includes boiling bones to make bone broth and eating the kidneys and other parts.

So, I am close to being Paleo. I am struggling with dairy. I thought sugar was hard, but dairy is so much harder! I love milk, cheese, sour cream and other dairy. This is going to be the kicker for me, but I'm working on it! I'm also not too keen on eating the organs or boiling bones! That almost sounds a bit witchy!

The other downside is cost...it is stinkin' expensive to eat healthy and I have to actually cook! I am tight with my money so I am constantly trying to find ways to lower the cost. I hit the farmer's market, buy on sale and now I'm starting to buy in bulk and finding canning recipes that fit my lifestyle. I have goals of getting a flour mill to make my own nut flours.

What is the upside? How can eating whole foods with no chemicals be bad for us??? I have lost 26lbs since May and have decided to take up weight training to assist with the weight loss and building muscle. I feel so much better! No stomach  pain, no kidney pain, more energy, no more shakes from low blood sugar. If I can give up dairy I think I would do even better. I want everyone to see what changing the way you look at food does for you! It's hard, but it's worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment