Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Merry Christmas

The last week has been a rollercoaster ride of emotions.  I guess it is like that most Christmas'.  As I have said before, I really have a hard time from October 1st to December 31st.  I love this time of year, but it is also a struggle for me emotionally.  During those three months there are birthdays for my kids, my mom and Tom.  Plus anniversary of his death, anniversary of our meeting and of course, the holidays.

I have had back problems for about 30 years.  I started going to a chiropractor when I was about 13 because I wasn't growing.  Since my whole family is full of tall people, my mom was concerned that I was only 5'1" so she dragged me to see the chiropractor.  Turns out my spine was way out of alignment and when he started putting it back in, I started growing!  I didn't stop until I reached 5'10".  I stopped going after a couple of years.  Off and on throughout the years my back will give out or spasm out and I am down for a day or two.  This time was different.  I was in pretty severe pain and I could tell there was something going on.  Last week after being down for 2 days with no relief in sight, I broke down and got the number to a chiropractor.  Long story short, my hips are out of alignment and have been for a very long time.  They spent all last week trying to get my muscles loosened up enough that they could start giving me good adjustments and fix the problem so I won't have this pain anymore.  I am finally starting to feel a little bit better.  Being down with back pain made it difficult to get stuff wrapped though.

On Christmas Eve we go out and look at lights.  It has been a tradition since I was a baby and I have carried it on with my kids.  I told my mom to be at my house by 6:00 pm so we could head out and I could be home in time to get to bed a decent hour since I had to work on Christmas morning.  She got there a little early and we had started a movie.  We decided to finish the movie before we headed out.  About 6:30 when the movie was over, I went to the garage and started cleaning out the car.  I heard a car door slam, but I didn't think anything of it.  Pretty soon the doorbell rang.  When I opened the door, we were greeted with very generous gifts from a secret santa.  I am talking VERY generous!!  I just started crying.  I couldn't believe someone was so giving!  I know who the santa is.  I asked them and they admitted it, but said there were others that helped and they wanted to remain anonymous.  I understand that because I have been a secret santa before and that is part of the joy of it, them not knowing.  Although, I would love to thank them for their generous hearts!!  Thank goodness we decided to stay later and finish the movie!!

Christmas day was a little hard for my kids.  I had to work so they weren't able to open gifts until the afternoon.  Luckily they spent the morning with my mom and my sister and her family.  That was a lot of fun for them and helped them pass the time.  While I was at work, Bud came in to see me.  He brought a box wrapped in Christmas paper and said he got me a gift.  Wow, I didn't get him anything even though we are pretty close.  When I opened the box I was very surprised to see a Kindle Fire HD, the case and a charger!!  I have been wanting that for a long time and he got it for me for Christmas!  It was just because we are friends and there are no strings attached to it and no romantic notions.  I also received gift cards to a spa from other friends, my favorite movie from my mom and a gift card from my sister and her family and she also bought a few things for my kids to give me for Christmas.  I am so grateful for my family and friends and their generous hearts!  I will never be able to express the gratitude I feel.

Also on Christmas day, we found out that a man in our neighborhood passed away from a heart attack.  He's around my age and the last person anyone would expect that to happen to.  He was good and kind.  He was spiritual and genuinely friendly.  Everyone loved him.  He and his wife were the couple that everyone wanted to be.  They had a lot of love for each other and it was very obvious.  In church they never let their kids sit between them.  They always sat by each other and held hands or he had his arm around her.  We actually sat by them at church on Sunday.  There are a lot of broken hearts right now at the loss of this great man.  We are all praying for his wife and kids to have peace and comfort at this time.  Christmas will never be the same for them. 

I have felt frustration, happiness, sadness and heartbreak over the last week.  But most of all, I am full of gratitude.  I am grateful to my kids, my family and my friends!  I am grateful to know that life is eternal and that this life is a learning experience and a stepping stone on the road to eternal life.  I am grateful for a Savior who came to this earth and died for us.  Merry Christmas everyone.  I hope your Christmas was full of love and hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment