Sunday, June 5, 2011

Forest Fire

30 miles south of my small home town, lies 2 small towns that are together to make 1 town. It is a beautiful place that sits at the base of a mountain. I always said, if there was a job that paid enough for me to survive, I would move there and raise my kids there. It is beautiful, small and the people are awesome. I have family there and several friends there. My dad was actually the Chief of Police for one of those towns for a few years until he resigned and took a different job.

About 20 miles south of that area, lies a tiny town that sits in the mountains. It is mostly summer homes and cabins, but there are some full time residents that live there too. My dad is one of them. After he left the police department, he sold his house and moved to that town. But, before that when I was in high school (which was a long time ago!), he and my stepmom bought a tiny cabin. His goal was to make the cabin useable first, then eventually make it his dream home. They made it useable. Many weekends we spent there just having fun and enjoying the scenery and family. When they sold their house, they bought a house in that tiny town and got to work on making the cabin their dream home. They gutted, tore down, built up, built rooms and built a garage with a bunk house. It has taken them years of blood, sweat, tears and a lot of love to get it where it is liveable and the way my dad wanted it. The goal was to have a place where they could be happy in retirement, be in the woods and have a place where their kids and grandkids could go to rest, relax, be with family, get away from the world and if something horrible happened in the big city we would all have a place to go for safety. It sits in the main part of town and when you go out the front, you can see the big meadow. First thing in the morning it is not uncommon to see a heard of elk standing in that meadow. He literally just got the final inspection on it done.

The house he lives in now, you drive by that meadow and up the hill. That house is a log cabin style home that sits in the forest. I LOVE that house. The front of the house is a wall of windows and my favorite thing to do is sit in front of those windows and just stare outside at the trees, grass and the mountains. The last time I was there, it was raining so I was probably the happiest person on the planet at that time. I love rain, but when it comes down in the woods, there is nothing like it. The smell of the trees and the clean air is indescribable, not to mention the coolness. There is no cell service there so we are forced to be cut off from the hustle and bustle and it is amazing. I find myself being very lazy when I go to visit my dad. Those two places are our family's slice of peace, heaven and respite from the world.

My whole life growing up, I have spent time in those mountains and woods. It was tradition with my mom and sister to take a drive south and drive through those small towns that dot the highway and see the fall colors. I have had picnics by the river, driven through the woods, shopped at antique stores and eaten at the little cafes. I've seen elk, deer and eagles. I've been fishing (ok, my late husband fished and I read). My youngest sister got married in one of those tiny towns and if I ever have the chance to get married again, I want to get married at my dad's house. I think it is one of the most beautiful places on earth and it was practically in my back yard. Anyone who grew up in that neck of the woods feels that way about it and there are many that didn't grow up there, but have spent many summers up there that feel that way.

A few days ago, a forest fire started in the area. They think it may be from a campfire. This fire has grown from 600 acres to over 140,000 acres in a matter of a few days and there is no containment. Hundreds of people have been forced out of their homes, including my dad. The winds are horrible, the humidity is low and the forest is in bad shape. Because of the environmentalist movement in the '90's, they have not been able to log in the forest. What they fail to understand is, if humans are not allowed to clean out the forest and take care of it, it will be done naturally by fire and when that happens it is devastating. The animals are running for their lives and have no place to live, the humans are also running for their lives and the lives of thousands of firefighters are put in danger to protect homes and businesses and to stop the fire from spreading. People are in jeopardy of having no home left. Some are having to stay in shelters and find shelters for their pets and livestock. Everyone is sitting on pins and needles just waiting to hear the latest news and praying the fire went around their homes. The pollution that is put in the air is unbelievable. Some people have had to leave the area just because they can't breathe from all the smoke.

Everyone who has ever been up there to those mountains is saddened and scared by what is happening. There is a slight chance of rain today...pray for a miracle and pray for all of those that are working so hard to stop this fire and protect homes and lives. Thank you's all around to those that are working on this fire from the ground, the air, the road closures, notifications, law enforcement and behind the scenes. It is all a team effort and without one, none of the others would work. From a personal stand point, I really, really hope my dad and stepmom have a home to return to.

No comments:

Post a Comment