Tuesday, June 14, 2011

A Small Idea















For years I have been trying to figure out ways to bring extra income into the home. Like most single parents, or pretty much most people these days, It is a struggle to make ends meet. Also because my kids are still too young to stay home alone, I can't take on a 2nd job outside the home and I'm limited on the overtime I can work.


Several months ago, I got to thinking about what I could do. I'm a crafty type person, surely I can come up with something. I used to make quilts a long time ago. I loved to make them, but they took so long I would never be able to sell something like that. I love fabric. I love the colors and patterns and for me the funnest part of making a quilt is putting the fabric together. I love to see what happens when you mix the different colors together to make something beautiful. My mom and stepmom both make amazing quilts. Anyway, I was cleaning out my closet a few months ago for a yard sale and I saw that I had several purses. I never realized how many purses I had. It got me thinking, why can't I make purses? So I thought about it for a couple months because I always have to take forever and day to make a decision and I decided to make myself a purse. I liked how it turned out and decided to use it and take it to work and show it off. At that point it was just a trial, a tiny glimmer of an idea. I showed off my handy work to a friend and just mentioned that I was thinking I would check into selling them. She immediately ordered one. The next day another girl ordered 2 more plus a baby one. The orders have started coming in and it has only been less than 3 weeks. I have started coming up with my own patterns and designs and I am having a blast! I get to pick fabric, sew something together and make a little bit of money in the process.


Once I get some designs set and I am a little bit faster, I will be opening up an etsy shop online. I'm trying to get a bunch made up on top of the orders so I can sell them at a craft fair in November and hopefully at a boutique. Could it be after all these years I have finally found my niche?



No comments:

Post a Comment