Monday, March 14, 2011

My Son the Matchmaker

As promised in yesterday's post, I thought I would tell you the story about when my son embarassed me in Walmart. I first have to start at the beginning. A few years ago, my kids decided they didn't want to be without a dad anymore. We were driving down the road one day and they both bombarded me. "Mom, when are you going to get us a new dad?" I then of course had to have a talk with them about finding the right one, we don't want just anyone, he has to be nice and good to me and to them, etc. After I was done, my son said, "Ok, you can try again tomorrow." As I laughed I was thinking I dodged that one pretty good. I was open and as honest as I could be with my then 7 and 5 year old kids.

The next day I had to go to Walmart. The kids and I went into the very busy store. It was packed!! After I did my shopping, we walked up to pay and the lines were down the aisles they were so long. There were A LOT of people around us. I was standing there talking to my kids waiting for my turn to pay, when my so not quiet son yells, "MOM!! We can't go yet! You forgot to buy a husband!!" Everyone around us started cracking up and I wanted to crawl into the floor. I very quietly said, "First of all, we can't buy a husband at Walmart. Second of all, we will talk about this later!" If I can pick a husband out in the store, I'm going to Dillards or Macy's!!

That was not the end of his matchmaking attempts either. A couple of years later we were driving down the freeway and my kids brought up the subject of me finding them a new dad...this actually comes up quite regularly. A pick up drove by and he said, "There's a man you can marry Mom. Oh darn. He's already married," after seeing the woman sitting in the passenger seat. Another time my kids were shopping in Target with my mom and he saw a man by himself shopping. He turned to my mom and said, "Grammy. Mom can marry that guy!" If it wasn't for my mom's quick reflexes he would have actually approached the guy! When the man walked by, my mom said he didn't have any teeth and was about 60 years old! Even when my guy friends come over to visit, both of my kids are jumping around, talking nonstop, asking a million questions and then asking after they leave if I'm going to marry that guy.

If my boy is going to do some matchmaking, we are going to have to work on his choices and skills!

3 comments:

  1. Kelli,

    I would have to choose the Dillards or Macy's guy. On the other hand what if the Wal-Mart guy dosen't cost as much and can easily be returned!!! I Love this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! That is a good point Lynette!!

    ReplyDelete