Friday, February 11, 2011

Reality Check

There is nothing that makes you realize you are getting older more than when your parents get sick. As a parent I expect my kids to get sick once in a while. I expect to have to take care of them and be there for them. Even though we all know there's a strong possibility for it to happen to our parents, we live in denial. I know I do anyway. All of my living parents (stepmom included) are still healthy, active and strong. It's not like any of them are ready for assisted living. But, my mom got sick this week. She has been fighting a really bad cold type thing all week. Then yesterday she ended up in the er for the afternoon because of various other things. While she was in there she was diagnosed with diabetes. There is a very strong family history there for it so it shouldn't have been a surprise, but it actually was. I wasn't expecting that until her 60's...oh wait, she IS in her 60's! When did that happen?

The bottom line is, I made the realization that I'm getting older so my parents are getting older. That is not supposed to happen. They are supposed to be young and strong forever! I want them to live until they are 100, that makes me 80 and then I can accept it.

No comments:

Post a Comment