Tuesday, August 5, 2014

School

School is out for a few weeks and I am so grateful.  This last semester was extremely stressful.  I never wrote so much in my life!  One assignment we had to do was write a personal essay.  I got an A on the essay, so I thought I would share my very personal essay.

I remember sitting in the doctor’s office hearing the doctor tell my husband Tom, that he had Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).  All I could think was, “Now what?  What does that mean?”  The doctor gave Tom some antidepressants and sent him on his way.  At that time Tom had left the Navy after serving 13 years and was serving in the Army National Guard.  That was around the year 1999 and it was a time when information about PTSD wasn’t exactly free flowing.  Neither of us knew how to deal with this diagnosis or what to expect, so we just went on with our lives hoping it was the right thing to do.    
            Shortly after his diagnosis, Tom was injured at work.  He slipped on the ice and went head first into the side of a truck.  He ended up needing neck surgery, and had to medically retire from the Guard.  It was kind of a relief for him to be out of the military, but at the same time he felt like he gave up a part of who he was.  As I look back, I really believe this was the beginning of a long downward spiral.  Then America was attacked.
            September 11, 2001 we sat glued to the tv in horror as the twin towers fell and the pentagon burned.  My patriot went down to the recruiter to try to re-enlist, but because he had been medically retired and had a disc fusion in his neck, no matter how much he begged, he was denied.  A few months later my stepdad, Tom’s best friend, died after a lengthy illness.  Then we started the very stressful process of adopting 2 children, and in 2003, Tom’s sister was killed in a car accident.  In a span of 3 years our world had turned upside down many times over.  Tom was struggling with flashbacks, sleepless nights, sleeping all day, and depression.  He quit going to his psychiatrist and taking his medication.  He started smoking and drinking again, stopped going to church and refused to wear his garments.  It was a roller coaster of a life going from total sadness, to walking on egg shells, and a few tiny moments of happiness.
            October 27, 2004 was the day our lives changed forever.  Tom and I had a huge fight and I finally told him I couldn’t do it anymore.  After many tears, mostly by me, he left.  A couple hours later I was awakened by a phone call from the police department telling me there was a disturbance and they wanted to know if Tom had any weapons.  While I paced the floor waiting to hear from the Police Department, I heard two cars pull up.  When I opened the door I saw two police officers on the street in front of my house.  Watching them get out of their cars and walk up the driveway was the longest 30 seconds of my life.  Time stood still and everything was in slow motion.  Working in law enforcement I knew what it meant to have two officers come to my home, but I refused to believe it.  At that moment they told me they found Tom dead with a self-inflicted gunshot wound to his head.  My world started spinning and I felt like I was falling into the dark abyss.  In a matter of seconds, my life changed and would never be the same.  All I could think about was our last moments together we were fighting and now he was gone and I felt like it was all my fault.  While my 4 year old son slept in the next room, my sweet 3 year old daughter was sitting on my lap with her hands on my face trying to make her very sad mommy happy and not understanding what was going on.
            At that time suicide was a taboo subject that was not talked about.  I was struggling with sadness, fear, extreme guilt and a lot of anger.  I was never very good at the therapy thing.  Having a stranger stare at me while I tell them my problems was not something I relished.  I hated when people asked me what happened to Tom.  How do I tell people my husband chose to die?  I felt weird saying I was a widow.  I’m too young to be a widow!  I wanted so badly to talk about Tom to people, but I was worried people weren’t interested in hearing about him, so I suffered in silence. 
            I was trying to understand what happened and trying to help my children, but I was very angry.  My anger was beginning to take over everything, even my sleep.  I would have nightmares about Tom that would leave me feeling drained and on edge.  I wasn’t going to church because I was pretty bitter.  One day I was talking with my bishop and I told him how angry I was.  He said to me, “You have to forgive him and yourself.  Your anger is keeping him from progressing and you as well.”  It was as if a light turned on in my brain.  The cobwebs cleared and I could see beyond the anger.  I didn’t want to be the reason for Tom not progressing. 
            My kids and I started doing Suicide Prevention walks.  It was sad knowing there were so many people out there who had suffered like we had, but it was also a comfort.  For the first time in years I wasn’t alone!  My second year walking I was asked to speak at the walk and tell my story.  That was such a healing moment and it started a conversation with anyone who would listen and with my Heavenly Father.  Fundraising gave others who were suffering a chance to tell me their stories.  I soaked in their stories like my life depended on them and I guess in way it did.  Those wonderful people had no idea how much they changed me.

            I have since done a lot of research on PTSD and suicide.  I realize that our life was pretty normal as far as a family living with PTSD.  It is normal for someone with PTSD to make very poor choices, treat the ones they love like they don’t matter, and fight depression.  These people are literally in a fight to stay alive and some just can’t keep fighting.  I have made it my life’s mission to give suicide awareness and prevention a voice.  I talk about it whenever I can and I am currently creating lesson plans for my work in law enforcement in hopes to make first responders aware of the dangers of PTSD in themselves.  I am in the process of getting approved to teach my class to dispatchers on a national level.  My dream is to end the stigma and to stop this way of dying in its tracks.  It is preventable, sometimes we all just need some help.  If I can help just one person live and keep their family from going through what we went through, then I have done my job.

No comments:

Post a Comment